Running water becomes unavailable at the centre, with detainees and staff having to use bottled water to wash. Local security guards are on strike after going unpaid.
Immigration minister Peter Dutton alleges detainees are being encouraged into "non-compliant behaviour" and to refuse food and water by refugee advocates and some staff on Manus. Detainees, refugee advocates and staff all deny this.
Riot police are filmed inside the detention centre, wearing body armour and carrying shields.
More than 100 men from Mike compound, where the hunger strike started on Tuesday, are now under medical care, most from severe dehydration.
Two men who swallowed razor blades and four who drank detergent are also in medical care.
More than 200 detainees are now allegedly receiving medical treatment after going on hunger strike, and there are reports security police have begun rounding people up in a bid to end the protest.
Guards in riot gear enter Delta and Oscar compounds in the afternoon, attempting to end the week-long protest by force and taking away alleged ringleaders.
Some of the men have reportedly been taken to Chauka, the isolation unit.
Dutton dismisses reports of authorities denying detainees food and water as “complete and utter nonsense” and “irresponsible”, but said some people might continue protests and attempt to harm themselves.
Despite the intervention, detainees continue the hunger strike with people collapsing and being carried to the front gates of compounds to be collected by medical staff.
The two men moved have not been a part of the protests, and had previously expressed a desire to be released from detention into the community.
However, up to 50 other refugees, who were told they would be forcibly removed to Lorengau on Thursday, are still refusing to go with two more detainees swallowing razor blades.